Sunday, July 24, 2011

Goodbye Namibia!!

Sunday July 24

It's been two weeks here and it's almost time to say goodbye to Namibia! It has definitely become more fun over time and I have some good friends here I will miss, but I don't count many animals among them and I'm ready for my next adventure! I'm really glad I chunked up these two months into such different things, because it feels like a whole bunch of different trips. I really can't believe I'm on the same vacation that took me on safari in Tanzania or to the beach in Kenya or hiking Table Mountain in Cape Town. Next up is the Sifundya (I think I spelled that correctly) bush experience. I just went over the paperwork I brought with me, and I'm still not sure what I am in for. The packing list did say to bring a towel (which I bought in Cape Town) so I'm thinking my slide down the hill of luxury will continue. But it's just a week, then I have two days in a beautiful hotel in Johannesburg before at last coming home!

There's not much to report from here; rather than chasing after an eland we watched a movie yesterday afternoon, which was just what I wanted to do, and this morning we built a larger cage for Godiva, one of the caracals who has a broken leg (because Yoda was a bit aggressive when trying to mate with her!!) and now we have the day to ourselves. Packing, showering (!!!), and reading are on the agenda. I hear we might also take on the Bush men in soccer.

Don't think I've included a picture of the caracals yet; here are a couple of Godiva. Caracals can jump well over two meters in the air, and they have fur sticking above their ears that allows them to measure the wind. They are related to cats but not super closely. Same as wild dogs are related to dogs but are actually really different.

Im leaving here tomorrow morning at 4 am and am Once again am unsure if I will have internet at the next place; we'll see how creative I have to be to get access!!

Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for keeping me so up to date!!!! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the farm to the bush. We'll be waiting to read the next chapter.

    Love from G&G

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been great to follow your adventures, Emily! Thanks for taking the time to share. We received your post card here in Singapore - thanks for thinking of us. We are definitely thinking of YOU as well right now because SBBB is in its final throes! The videos turned out great... book and workbook are coming along swimingly. We'll send you a copy when it's all done. Cheers - and safe travels. Brenda & Daniel

    ReplyDelete