Saturday, July 23, 2011

Namibia Still

Friday July 22

Whoops looks like I was confused on Wednesday when I thought it was Sunday! Who knows what I was thinking!?! Today is definitely Friday and my last official day of activities. I'm ready for them to be done! On your last day you can decide to join any of the groups and do your favorite activity. I was lucky in that my group was on research so I just stayed with them. But it wasn't that great! First we had to go out in two trucks to chase a wild ostrich. That was pretty fun. We walked in a straight line with our arms out to make it run away from us and into the area it is supposed to live in. But then, we got dropped off far away from our camp and had to walk back through the bush and do a game count on foot. I got so many prickles in my shoes it was really annoying. And I had to go to the bathroom the whole time. And we had no idea how long it would take to get back. AND we didn't really see anything at all. Then when we got back we had to make the cheetahs Samera and Chiquita walk in a straight line for their food to practice for when they are going to photograph their footprints.

Lunch came next and they ran out of food, which is a common occurrence. I got some at least. They expect people to walk for hours in the morning, or work in the garden, or whatever, and the self portion out what one portion of stir fried veggies looks like. And then when it runs out they blame us for taking too much and the last people basically go without food. They won't even give them cereal! It is incredibly annoying and I'm looking forward to filling out a comment card. I will definitely be on time for lunch for the next two days until we leave!

Now it's the afternoon and I have opted to "be sick" and rest in my tent. I don't like any of the activities that go on in the afternoon so I'm going to just rest and read!!


Saturday July 23

Today we were on food preparation again, which is good because basically everyone else had to clean out the sheep and goat enclosure. A lot of shit. Shitty job. I fed the rabbits. Tried to feed the tortoise but couldn't find it. Really not that much to report! Here are some pictures from when we fed the carnivores. And also feeding the baby baboons their one o'clock bottles.

We are supposed to have a fun activity this afternoon but it sounds like Rudie wants to try to dart the eland again, so seems like we will just be going along with that. Ready to be moving onto my next place - will try to upload a goodbye message tomorrow before I leave!

2 comments:

  1. what's with the ears on those wild pups! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will likely be no tears with goodbyes to this camp. Hope your last week in Africa will have lots of pleasant memories. Will be waiting to read your next blogs.

    Be safe and Lots of love from
    G&G

    ReplyDelete