Friday, June 10, 2011

Business is the way to go!

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I booked my flight to and from Africa on points, and the upgrade on points to business class was relatively cheap, so I sprang for it. Unfortunately I decided to do this a bit late in the game, and so my first two flights were in economy. I got upgraded at the gate for the first flight, but spent Montreal to Zurich in economy. The big issue here was that Swiss Air made me check my meticulously packed carry-on. I put up as much of a fight I could before I was afraid they would kick me off the flight. Air Canada had let me bring it on no problem, so I made them bring out the thing to measure it. Of course it was so small that a briefcase would barely fit, let alone a laptop bag or the actual suitcases everyone else was bringing. I guess a guy in a suit pulling a fancy suitcase is different than a girl in safari clothes with a soccer bag :(

Anyways this entire blog is just a guise for me to share this picture I just took:

I am now on my last of three flights and in business class, again on Swiss Air. I can't even imagine what First is like, this is pretty sweet. The photo is of the control panel for my seat. I searched for a manual because I'm sure I'm missing how to use everything in my little area here. I have never flown on this kind of a plane in business class before! Toronto - Calgary needs an upgrade!

Anyways I'm calmer and much happier now than on my last flight when I was preoccupied with visions of my luggage being stolen in Nairobi before I could get to it. A lovely man just brought me a glass (real glass!!) of water for my pre-flight drink. Time to sit back, relax, and wait until I can push the "bed" button. It's 3:23am Toronto time. I guess this will get posted from either the Nairobi airport or our hotel!

Oh, and I just got a very thick menu. Today's lunch comes from the canton of Fribourg, in the foothills of the alps. It looks lovely.

PS heathrow took away half of auntie em's liquids, so neither of us had a particularly good start! She managed to save all the bug spray and sunscreen she was bringing though. Always taking one for the team! Who knows what her hair and skin will look like since she had to give up all the non-essentials. Will of course keep you updated with photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment