Saturday, June 4, 2011

Yes, I'm Going to Africa!!



On this coming Thursday (June 9) I will be hopping on a plane (3 planes actually) destined for Nairobi (via Montreal and Zurich) to begin my 2 month trip-of-a-lifetime in Africa. I don't fully know what to expect, but I'm hoping to have enough internet access to keep you all updated through this blog. In fact, I purchased an iPad for just this reason, and found an app (Blogger+) that should allow me to write posts even when I don't have internet access, and then upload them when I do. So please excuse any and all bad formatting and multiple-posts-appearing-at-once going forward!! 


I've been planning this trip for so long, I can't even remember how it started. My best recollection is that early last fall I realized I'd have this summer off after graduating from HBS and before going back to work and randomly asked my dad "Hey, do you want to go to Africa this summer?" and he said "No, go ask your aunt." Which is exactly what I did - I emailed my animal-loving adventurous aunt, and before I knew it we were planning a two-plus week safari. Looking to maximize my trip, I randomly decided to stay for an extra six weeks on my own, and spent the next few months researching and planning how to fill in the time. 


Researching dolphins off the coast of Kenya? Working with lions in Victoria Falls? Taking a cruise from Cape Town? Joining a Game Capture team in South Africa? The options were fantastically overwhelming. And I was only looking at countries south of Kenya! I narrowed down my options using criteria of (1) safe; (2) exciting; (3) cost-effective (the safari portion was already costing an arm and a leg!). Here is what I've ended up with:

June 10 - June 27: Luxuriating in a safari through Kenya and Tanzania, ending with a few days in Zanzibar

June 27 - June 30: Exploring Nairobi, Kenya

June 30 - July 4: Chilling in Mombasa, on the coast of Kenya

July 4 - July 9: Experiencing Cape Town, South Africa

July 9 - July 11: Relaxing in the winelands outside of Cape Town

July 11 - July 25: Volunteering at the N/a an ku se Wildlife Sanctuary just outside of Windhoek, Namibia 

July 25 - Aug 1: Braving the Siyafunda Bush Experience outside of Hoedspruit, South Africa

Aug 1 - Aug 3: Cramming in a little bit of Johannesburg, South Africa just to round the trip out


I'm incredibly excited and can't wait for the trip to begin!  

2 comments:

  1. Terrific introduction to your adventures.
    Can't wait for the next report.
    Have a fantastic time - and stay safe.

    G&G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting! Can't wait for the rest of the posts throughout the summer. Mom

    ReplyDelete